Tuesday, July 17, 2007

So I have a ton of pics to post for the last week or so, but first I thought I would share a funny story first...

It really wasn't funny at the time, but now looking back a day later I can see the humor in it. I took Rachel to the doctor for a Urinary Tract Infection and a bad yeast infection. Well, you know the drill. I figured it would be so simple. We would walk in, she would have to pee right away because she is going every 5-10 minutes, I would ask for the little sterile cup, we would go into the bathroom, she would pee in the cup and we would be done. Well, to a three year old little girl the little sterile cup is Satan. Everything went as planned at first. We walked in the door, signed in, sat down and withing two minutes she told me she had to pee. I took her into the bathroom, the nurse gave us the cup and I took her flops and panties off, I made her sit really far back on the seat, then I put the cup under her. You would have thought I was holding a gun to her. She went insane. She wouldn't let a drop come out. I could tell she was in pain holding it in, but she wasn't giving in and either was I. We went into the room and Dr. Barnett came in and checked her. She told Rachel she couldn't leave until she peed in the cup. I turned to Rachel and said, "OK kid, what's it going to take? A Dora book?" She said yes to the book, but no to the cup. She told me, "Mommy, when people pee in a cup that's not right. When little girls pee they are suppose to pee in the toilet!" This went on and on for about fifteen minutes. I finally bribed her with gum to drink half of my water bottle. I figured that would seal the deal. Well, at this point she hadn't gone to the bathroom in almost 45 minutes. She was dying. I told her we would just go into the bathroom and I wouldn't use the cup. I lied. I don't care. It was worth it. I had to get to PT and we were not running on schedule. Yes, I am justifying my actions, but I don't care. Anyway. I told her that if she wrapped her dress up and over her shoulders and around her arms she looked like a king with his robe. She thought that was awesome and didn't realize that she couldn't move her arms. I took her panties and flops off again. I took her into the bathroom in the exam room (her pediatrician just bought an OB's office). I sat her on the toilet seat and hid the cup behind my back. As soon as she started I shot that cup under her. She couldn't move so she just started screaming bloody murder and stopped peeing IMEDIATELY. I only got a tiny bit in the cup. As soon as I got her to quit SCREAMING I took the cup out into the hall and said, "This better be enough because it's all we're getting out of her!"
They tested it and came in with a Rx for antibiotics and stronger cream for the yeast infection. They sent it out for further testing, but she was pretty positive it's an UTI. So now we have to force nasty meds down her and put gross cream on her, but we will get through this.

It really is amusing looking back. I didn't think it was funny yesterday, especially when we finally got out of the appointment and I called my mom to tell her how it went. All she said was, "I couldn't believe you thought it would be that simple. She is three years old." She laughed and I just felt stupid. Well, I've learned my lesson.

So here's to all those mom's with three year olds who have their own agenda and views on the world! Good luck to you!!!

1 comment:

ashley said...

LOL! this is quite a funny story! I am glad that it is funny for you now. I can just imagine Taylor doing the same thing-- it is hard enough right now having to make sure there are no automatic flusher toilets for her-- i can't imagine having to get her to pee in a cup! Thanks for sharing!