Tuesday, January 08, 2008

So here's the question of the day...
Do you think it's unsafe to put our last name on this blog?
My cousin Holly had some creepy guy leave a couple comments on her blog telling her how easy it was to find out all of her family's personal information on-line once he got her last name from her blog. She has taken her last name off and doesn't want to have to take any other steps because the blog will be inconvenient if she does.
What's your opinion? I really want to know what you think???

7 comments:

Crissybug said...

I don't use my last name anywhere on my blog, but people I know have linked to me using my last name. The way I look at it is this...if someone really wants to find out more about you...they will. There are so many people that do put their last name on their blog, and I don't really think there is anything wrong with that.

Bowman Family said...

Crissybug, Thanks! I actually just tried finding us on the internet through google search and the only thing that came up was our whitepages listing with our phone number and address. I think that's almost worse to have than our blog address. Life's going to happen. I don't like living in fear. So I guess I won't! :-)

Jennifer said...

I have debated about this, myself, quite a bit over the past few months. I wish that badgettfamily wasn't in my link; otherwise, I think I would have gone through and changed it all. But I guess it really isn't a big deal. Like your friend said, if someone wants to find you, they will... And I'll be waiting here with my baseball bat to get them. :)

ashley said...

lol... we would use a baseball bat too! I just try to not have too many details about birthdays, locations, etc... I agree, if they want to fins you they will!

Holly said...

Oh boy, I do not have an answer for this one, but am definitely dealing with it right now! For me personally, removing the last name is offering a superficial peace of mind, so it works for now.

I love the new blog header wording!

Josh said...

I don't know about a base ball bat, but I do have an arsonal of about 10-12 firearms to defend my wife, my home, and maybe some day soon our little puppy. If that sounds to red neck for ya, then chances are you won't like Sister Abbott's blog. Warning- sisters that visit Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina will begin to say ya'll instead of you all and will become obsessed with the confederate jack be warned.

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg,
We haven't put my hubby's name on the blog or our last name and try to be discreet about specifics such as places, b-days, etc...but I do use the kids names. Some people go by nick names so it's completely anonymous. I think it just depends what you feel would personally give you a sense of peace. When it comes to having such cute kids, people have suggested that we don't use their real names as it could be a way of predators getting them to trust them. So, who knows? If it's not one thing, it's another, y'know!?