Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Voice

No, I am not talking about the tv show.  I am talking about my voice.  Rachel is getting baptized this weekend and it had brought back so many great memories from Jayne's baptism two years ago.  I remember arriving at the church to practice our musical number in the primary room.  I started to sing and sounded like a frog.  I drank some water and cleared my throat but nothing seemed to work.  Being in the 6th month of my craziest pregnancy I chalked loosing my singing voice up to the pregnancy.  That makes sense, right?  I was humiliated singing at the baptism knowing this was not MY voice. 
Hindsight is 20/20.  The next February I would discover that my voice changed due to the tumor growing in my already enlarged, diseased thyroid.  After going through ultrasounds, etc for over six years you would think that I would have put 2 and 2 together, but I didn't.  I am grateful that I had a good four months of obliviousness with my brand new baby boy. 
As soon as I came out of surgery to remove my thyroid we realized something had changed.  The doctor said he didn't think he had damaged the vocal chords, but he did have to "identify" them.  This caused my voice to sound like Micky Mouse for a few months.  Jayne talked to me on the phone and said, "Mommy, you sound like a sweet little girl!"  Luckily over time my voice has come back, but when I sing I sound like a teenage boy going through puberty.  At first the girls would tell me to sing for people like it was some kind of circus act.  Now I am coming to terms with it.  Singing has been such a joy in my life and I have decided that whether it sounds good or not, it's coming out.  And that is very liberating!  :-)

1 comment:

AlpineFleur said...

Did you know that I used to be a total choir snob? I was. It is shameful to me know but boy did Heavenly Father give me a good whippin' to get me to shape up. So when I went to my new ward (right after I got married) the choir did a special musical number. It was fine except for one voice which was BEYOND terrible! Seriously. It had to be really bad cause even Dan, my practically tone-deaf but wonderful husband, was flinching and looking pained as the ... we'll call them unusual notes, kept barraging our ears. I smiled smugly and set about to search for the delusional soprano and noticed a few of the choir members looking as pained as we felt. I wondered how the choir director could stand it. And then, I saw her. And I immediately repented for all of my snobbery. She was a beautiful Latina sister and unlike the faces of many other choir singers (you know the look, focused yet trying to convey their message) she perfectly radiated the spirit. It was like watching the face of a child when they fervently sing "I Am A Child of God". Clearly this sister was in the act of praising the Lord and suddenly, her notes ceased to bother me and sounded infinitely sweeter than any I had ever heard. Really. I am not exaggerating. And ever since then, even when I get to sing, I have remembered that it is not the quality with which you sing, it is the purpose for which you sing that touches you and your audience and invites the spirit. Long comment - I know. But I just thought I should share with you that humbling and enlightening experience and tell you to hold your head high and sing loud and proud in praise of God and all that is good!