(Jason is typing and telling this story)
I was asked for the first time at work to set a concrete foundation for a sign we were going to install. I did all the prep work and was now ready to to pour the concrete. I ordered a whole truck full to come in for the pour. When he got there I suggested that we drive on the sidewalk so traffic can get around us, but the diver wanted to go across the lawn. I told him it was really soggy but he acted like it was no big deal. I figured he knew best! I was wrong!!! He backed up and immediately he sank two inches where his tires rolled across the ground. He got all ten wheels on the lawn and stopped to get out and check his position. By the time he got back in (5 minutes later) he had sunk nearly eight inches. He was stuck. He couldn't go back any further so he tried to rock the truck forward. He sunk up to a foot deep in some areas and was now sitting on his axles which were 2-3 in the dirt. TIME FOR A TOW TRUCK!!!! Here are the pictures of what happened.

This is the tow truck. It had to use BOTH it's winches and it was still pulling it's self backwards. Then he put down the outriggers and tried but only succeeded in pulling himself backwards again and peeling up the neighbor's asphalt. A third attempt was made and after more damage to the asphalt occurred the concrete truck finally came out. Well to shorten the story ( a little late now I suppose) I got blamed because the owner of the concrete company said it was company policy that the drivers NEVER drive on the grass unless requested by the customer. Of course he never asked his driver if I requested it or not and just assumed that I didn't and wouldn't hear otherwise. We agreed they would pay for the asphalt damage and we for the landscaping. Two days later they called us and said if we wanted anything at all from them to take them to court. So we paid for all of it. I can laugh at it now but it wasn't funny then. The place where this occured was Melcher's Mortuary which is active and in buisness during this whole procces. Lovely place to have a funneral with a cemente truck stuck in the front lawn!! Well the sign did get installed and I didn't get fired so alls well that ends well I guess, but what an ordeal!!




No comments:
Post a Comment